What Vaccinations Do You Need for Traveling to Vietnam
Although there is no requirement of compulsory vaccinations to obtain a Vietnam visa, it is better to be safe than sorry. To answer the question “What vaccinations do you need for traveling to Vietnam”, here are our recommendations.
When to Take the Vaccinations
After figuring out what vaccinations do you need for traveling to Vietnam, take them, ideally, 4-6 weeks before your trip since some vaccinations need at least 4 weeks to fully work.
So What Vaccinations Do You Need for Traveling to Vietnam?
- Routine Vaccinations: measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, varicella, polio, yearly flu shot
- Hepatitis A, Typhoid: You might get it from contaminated food or water, especially if you are about to try some exotic food or visit rural places.
- Hepatitis B: The transmission is similar to HIV including sexual contacts, blood, and contaminated medical equipment. If you are thinking about getting tattoos in Vietnam or dental work in Vietnam, this shot is highly advised.
- Rabies: People, especially small children, who love to stay outdoor or play with animals like cats and dogs, should not opt out this shot.
- Yellow Fever: Compulsory to take if you visit an infected place and then travel to Vietnam within a six-day period.
- Japanese Encephalitis: If you are planning to the rural places of Vietnam, especially for more than 1 month, this vaccination is highly advised. 3 required shots should be taken at least 1 month before your departure day.
- Tetanus, Meningococcal disease: You are recommended to get when visiting rural areas where many causes might be available.
- Malaria: Monsoon season in Vietnam is one of the factors that create the inhabitation for mosquitoes which may carry malaria virus. There have not any vaccination for this disease yet, so careful precautions should be taken such as using bed nets and insect spray when traveling to the countryside or highlands.
- Tuberculosis: If you do not come from any country where infants get the Tuberculosis vaccination called BCG, you should visit the doctor as soon as some symptoms like coughing, weight loss, getting a fever in the afternoon or night are noticed.
Summary of What Vaccinations Do You Need for Traveling to Vietnam
There is no specific regulation of what vaccinations do you need for traveling to Vietnam, it would be better with careful preparation.
Other helpful guides about vaccinations for Vietnam:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Tropical Medical Bureau
Get your travel insurance plan to visit Vietnam:
© Written by Mai Bui for itourvn.com