Getting a piercing is a bold way to express your individuality. If you are considering getting one, look no further. In this blog, we will let you know all about piercing in Vietnam.
Many Vietnamese girls got their ears pierced at a very young age.
Piercing has always been a part of Vietnamese culture. Many girls got their ears pierced because earrings are one of the most common jewelry in a bride’s dowry. Locals usually do the piercing themselves, using a thread and a sanitized needle. To prevent closing up, people wear gold or silver earrings or a small straw plug until it heals. Some beauty salon and jewelry stores also offer this service.
While ear piercing is a common practice among women, many Vietnamese people still find it rare for men. Body piercing is also seen as uncommon, and a sign of rebelliousness to conservative Vietnamese. However, aside from occasionally turning heads on the street, piercing won’t get you into trouble as younger generations are more accepting.
Piercing has even become a popular fashion statement among young people.
Nowadays, with international fashion trends coming into Vietnam, piercings are becoming more popular with both genders. Coupled with the rising popularity of tattoos, many professional piercing and tattoo studios have emerged due to this high demand.
Why Getting a Piercing in Vietnam is Recommended
Getting a piercing can be risky, so consider carefully before going with it.
If you decided to commemorate your trip with a piercing, getting one done in Vietnam can be a great decision. The price of getting a piercing in Vietnam is quite low compared to places in the US or Europe or even in other Asian countries. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s a hack job; due to higher demands in quality, many piercers and tattoo artists in Vietnam are certified professionals.
Keep these tips in mind before getting a piercing.
Before Getting a Piercing
- Always do your research first and read reviews.
- Contact the studio; while some studios are walk-in friendly, others may require a reservation.
- Get all your vaccinations, especially hepatitis B and tetanus.
- Consult with a doctor if you have any medical problems that might affect the piercing process.
During The Piercing
- Make sure that the piercer washes their hands before and after the process, wears fresh disposable medical gloves, and that all pieces of equipment are sterilized.
- There are many types of piercings. Do your research carefully on what kind you want and the risks and pain accompanying it.
- Don't walk in the studio with an empty stomach. The painful process might make you feel nauseous.
Some areas may hurt much more than others for piercing.
After Getting a Piercing
- Some food should be avoided to prevent infection and inflammation (shrimps, beef, eggs, poultry, morning glory, etc.) ; this is especially important for a tongue piercing: stay away from foods that are spicy, hot, sticky, acidic, crunchy, or hard. If you're joining a Food Tour in Vietnam, make sure to notify your tour guide.
- Drinking beer/liquor is ok, but only with sensible limits.
- The cleaning process for piercing aftercare is of vital importance. Clean your fresh piercings regularly with saline solution and clean Q-tips. For some specific piercing positions, taking antibiotics is recommended.
- Getting a piercing also means no fun in swimming pools or beaches. Keep the piercings dry and sanitized at all times.
- Avoid sleeping on your ear piercings, or putting pressure on the freshly-pierced body parts.
- Depending on the position of your piercing and your health, the healing process may be different. Consult a doctor or your piercer if any complications arise.
- Do not take out your piercings without consulting a professional first.
GaugesVN is available in both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Opening hours: 9 AM - 9 PM
One of the most popular professional piercing and tattoo studios in Vietnam, GaugesVN is best known for its quality service and its beautifully unique piercing accessories.
Ho Chi Minh City
A popular location for many local piercing and tattoo enthusiasts.
Address: No. 7M, 14 Street, Mieu Noi Residential Area, Ward 3, Binh Thanh District
Opening hours: 9:45 AM - 11 PM
Founded by professional tattoo artists and piercers Pham Mai and Dang Vinh, this is home to many talented artists. The studio is well-known for its friendly staff, great prices and welcoming atmosphere.
This small, colorful studio is home to many award-winning artists and technicians.
Address: Apartment No. 207 Bùi Viện Street, District 1
Opening hours: 10 AM - 8 PM
DMT Tattoo & Piercing is an award-winning studio with helpful staff, pleasant vibes, and a reasonable price. It is quite complicated to locate the store, so feel free to call if you need any help.
Cock Stock was established in 2014.
Opening hours: 9 AM - 9:30 PM
Cock Stock is a pioneer of professional piercing in Vietnam. With their professional piercers and nurses, state-of-the-art equipment, and a wide variety of services and products, Cock Stock continues to be one of the best choices.
1984 Tattoo & Piercing Studio is also available in Hoi An.
Opening hours: 9 AM - 11 PM
1984 Tattoo & Piercing Studio is a go-to place for tattoo and piercing enthusiasts. Founded in 2015, the studio is home to many professional artists that will surely satisfy any needs.
Lam Viet Tattoo & Piercing Studio
A well-established studio with many years of experience.
Address: 4 Nguyen Sieu Street, Hang Buom Ward, Hoan Kiem District
Opening hours: 10 AM - 10 PM
Lam Viet Tattoo and Piercing Studio earned its reputation as an award-winning studio internationally and locally. With hand-picked international and local artists, hygienic tools, and anti-rust materials, the studio is popular among locals and tourists alike.
To protect yourself against health-related problems, sign up for travel insurance:
Getting a piercing can be tough, but if you have decided to get one as a souvenir, why not do it in Vietnam? It is a great way to explore Ho Chi Minh City’s other side, where the non-traditional is always welcomed.
© Written by Thu Doan for itourvn.com
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.